Chicken in Strawberry-Rosemary Sauce

In 2008, Manischewitz (the matzoh company) had a cooking contest.  The rules required using at least one of their products.  I had created the following recipe years back and thought that, by converting generic products into Manischewitz ones, it might be a winner.  So I submitted it.  The deadline came and went, and, in keeping my perfect record (0 for 1,000, give or take) there was no contact from the company to tell me that I was a finalist.

Eventually the finalists were posted on their website, and I was shocked (SHOCKED I tell you) to see a recipe that was pretty close to mine!  That mean ol' finalist had a few differences in his recipe, and (I have to admit) his WAS little simpler, but Wah!  Wah! He got picked instead of me!

I still like mine better *sniff*.  Strawberries are much more better than cherries with chicken.    Except next time, I might try copying his, I mean using, balsamic vinegar instead of the cider vinegar.

Chicken in Strawberry-Rosemary Sauce
Serves 4

2 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 pt. very ripe strawberries, divided
¼ cup parsley, coarsely chopped (for garnish)

   1. Wash & hull strawberries, then cut each in half. With fork, crush 1/2 of the strawberries in a small bowl, then sprinkly with rosemary.  Pour vinegar over crushed strawberries.  Set aside.

   2. Pound chicken breasts flat to tenderize.

   3. In large frying pan heat oil over medium heat until very hot, but not smoking.  Arrange breasts in pan in single layer.  Heat for 5 minutes or until browned, then flip breasts over and heat for another 5 minutes or until fully cooked through.

   4. Remove breasts to covered dish to keep warm.

   5. Add vinegar mixture to pan and stir for 1-2 minutes with wooden spoon to deglaze and create sauce.

   6. Lower heat to med-low.  Return breasts to pan, add remaining strawberry halves and heat for 1 minute.

   7. Arrange chicken breasts on serving platter.  Pour sauce over breasts.  Arrange parsley over breasts to garnish.  Serve immediately.

Comments