Use Up Your Chometz, Pt. I (Salmon with Soy-Honey Sauce)

I know it's a little early, but it takes a while to use up all those massive quantities of chometz (pronounced KHUH-metz), the kosher but not kosher-for-passover foods and stuff taking up space in my pantry.  I already started purchasing KP products to avoid last year's emergency, when I couldn't find Fox-s U-Bet ANYWHERE.  KP Mayo was on the shelves at my local ShopRite last week, but because I procrastinated an entire whole week, they were out of it today.  They better get more in cuz i have 6 cans of tuna that need mayo-ing, and I don't have the knack to make it from scratch.  Yet.  BTW, ShopRite KP tuna (at my store anyway) was not in the KP section, but hiding in plain sight by the regular tuna.  Same for some other products, such as Maxwell House KP coffee.

Because we adopted a beagle last May, I couldn't store the KP groceries on the floor of the dining room like I used to.  So I cleaned out two shelves of one cabinet and shoved most of it in there, leaving the rest covering the dining room table for when I can get to cleaning out more shelves.   I can hardly wait for the supermarket to have the dairy products in. :P

Here is a recipe that might help use up some pantry items.  Serve over rice to use it up as well:

Salmon with Soy-Honey Sauce
Serves 4

1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine), or your favorite white wine
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar, or 2 Tbs. plain white vinegar
1 Tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
4 (about 6 oz. each) salmon fillets
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 cups rice, cooked according to package directions

   1. Still together mirin, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger in a shallow dish. Add salmon, skin sides up, and marinate, covered, at room temperature 10 minutes.

   2. Pre-heat broiler. Boil soy sauce, honey and lime juice in a small saucepan, stirring frqeuntly, until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.

   3. Broil fish, skin sides down, on oiled rack of a broiler pan 5-7 inches from heat until fish is just cooked through, about 6-10 minutes depending upon thickness.

   4. Serve salmon over rice, drizzled with wine sauce.

Comments