No-Egg, Parve Chocolate Cake, Revisited

A funny thing happened on the way to making my parve chocolate cake.  Let me tell you about it.



Up until now,  this cake was fool-proof .  Mix and bake in the same pan.  No mixer needed.

Easy.

Until today. 

I made the cake with a minor variation  I had done several times in the past ... I lined the pan with aluminum foil so that I could pop out the cake and travel with it.  In this case, it was heading to my mother-in-law for her birthday.




Whisk, then pop it into the preheated oven.  Simple.















Hmmm ... cracked a little, but that's no biggie.  Except when I pulled on the foil, the foil ripped and the cake broke into massive chunks.  Apparently, when I whisked the batter, I must have cut the foil a bit (and when I say "a bit" I mean "a lot").  Batter oozed under the foil, where it burnt and melded with said foil.  Despite soaking the corning dish for several hours, I still had to chisel out the remaining foil shreds.

I have since added a note onto the recipe that says, even if foil is used, lightly grease the pan as well as the foil to prevent future mishaps.

Much as I wanted to reproduce the meltdown exhibited by Julie (in Julie and Julia), I couldn't see my self lying down on the floor.  Have you seen my kitchen floor?  Blech!!!!

So instead I pretended to act a little more maturely, and remade the cake, using another cake pan (the other one was still in the act of soaking).



MUCH better!

A little dusting with powdered sugar, and then off to grandmother's house we went!

Comments