Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake - Crazy Cooking Challenge

Photobucket

Today's post is brought to you by the letter "C", as in Crazy Cooking Challenge.

Mmmmm ... choc-lit!














Also as in Chocolate Cake.  All us crazy cooking members were required to find a chocolate cake recipe from someone else's blog, then make and post about it.   Chocolate is my weakness, especially when it is in cake form (and in any other form, but I digress) so choosing just one from so many delicious-looking recipes on the intertubes was especially difficult.  I think I gained weight just reading them.

A long-time friend recently gave me her fancy bundt pan.  Never having baked a cake in a bundt-type cake pan before, I wanted to find something to fill it with.  So I made the executive decision to find a bundt-specific recipe  I have no idea if any ol' cake batter can bake up fine and dandy in a bundt pan, but at least it helped to whittle down the long list of finalists.

I finally zeroed in on this recipe from Tracy at Shutterbean.   Anyone who starts a recipe with, "Everyday between 2-3pm, my body craves chocolate cake" has to know chocolate.  And cake.  Mostly because she said so.  And also because her lovely photos did a major part of the talking. 

Tracy's recipe looked relatively easy, especially since it didn't require an electric mixer.  And it was relatively easy to assemble.  But I had a tiny little bit of a problem getting the finished product out of the pan, even with all that preparatory greasing and flouring.  At the end of the stated baking time, the cake tested done, but was hinting at me that it might not be ready by not pulling away from the pan sides.

I should have taken this little bitty hint.

I should have baked it a little longer. 

Oopsie!














Oh, well.  Regardless of how it presented, it tasted great anyway.  TheHubby devoured the larger chunks.  I ate the crumbs because, as everyone knows, cake crumbs have no calories.  It must be true because I heard about it in a chain email ...

What's better than chocolate cake? Chocolate cake with hot fudge!















Since only theHubby and I were sharing the cake, I didn't bother to make the glaze.  Instead I simply heated up a bottle of Hershey's syrup and went to town.

This cake was delicious!  I definitely will make it again at a future date.  I might even make the accompanying glaze (see link below for Tracy's original recipe).  But when baking time is over and the toothpick says it's done, I'm leaving the pan in the oven for at least 5 more minutes. 


Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake
from: shutterbean
serves 10
baking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 Tbl. for the pan
1/3 cup cocoa powder, plus
1Tbl. for the pan
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup water
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract














Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 10- or 12-cup Bundt pan with the baking spray.

A little ying-yang thing going on here.

















TIP ALERT! To prevent unsightly white "dandruff" on a chocolate cake, whisk together the 1 tablespoon of flour with the 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder (and do this over the sink.  Your counter will thank you).














Then flour pan with the cocoa-flour mixture.  Tap pan over sink to remove excess mixture;  set pan aside.














In a 1-quart saucepan, combine butter, remaining cocoa powder, salt, and water over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
















Place remaining flour, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk to blend. 















Carefully add half of the chocolate mixture to dry ingredients.















Whisk until completely blended (it will be very thick).
















Pour in remaining chocolate mixture and continue to whisk.   It will fight you a bit; stir up from bottom as you go along.














Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition to completely incorporate before adding the next. 














Whisk in sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
















Pour mixture into prepared bundt pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until cake pulls away from the sides and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. 


Not done yet.






Do you see the cake pulling away from the sides?  Neither do I.  
 Let fully-baked cake cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely.

Serve with chocolate syrup or with glaze.

Pin It


Disclaimer - because this recipe is part of an online cooking challenge, the linked recipes below might not be kosher.

Comments

  1. I have had this happen to me more times than I can count! I have a pan with 12 very mini bundt cakes in it. They would be so cute, if I could get them out of the pan! I'm glad your cake was good. That's really the most important thing anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a totally delicious oopsie!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks really good. And I love your pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now that you mention it, I should have at least shown a better photo of the pan. Next time ... and there really will be a next time, hopefully soon.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm it looks so yummy (and so much easier than mine!) Don't be fooled by my awesome photos - while mine didn't crumble into a million pieces like yours did, I had one whole section on the inside of BOTH pans I did that didn't release. haha. Some beautiful chocolate ganache and trick photography and you'd never know. LOL Of course, I'm not sure how you would have pulled that off with your crumbly mess but at least it tasted good, and in my opinion, chocolate crumbs might even taste better than a big perfect slice of cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandmother used to say "Honey the ones that fall apart are the best", and she is right, it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to work in a gourmet cooking store as the purchaser. She developed a working relationship with all sorts of brands including Nordicware. The rep from that company shared the secret to getting cakes to release from those beautiful pans and it has worked every single time for me. Melt some butter and brush it into every single crevice on the pan. Make sure every single spot is covered. Then put it into the freezer to harden. Make your batter and preheat your oven. When the oven is ready, get out your pan, plop in the batter and bake immediately in that cold pan for the normal length of time. Since I started doing this 5 years ago, I have never had a cake stick.

    And I love your recipe....sour cream cakes are SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, I would have thought that a frosty heavy bundt pan would increase the baking time, but if an expert recommends it then I'm willing to try almost anything once. Thank you so much for sharing this tip!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.