Challah Pudding - Easy

Did I mention I own two different slow-cookers?  One is an oval 6-quart style, the other is the standard 4-quart variety.  I use the larger one for meat dishes and the smaller one for dairy.  Like today, when I made a batch of challah pudding.  Betcha didn't even know that custard-type desserts could be made in a slow-cooker, didnja?

Start with 4 thick slices of stale leftover challah.

Bwahahahahaha!    

Sometimes I just tickle myself with the things that come out of my mouth.  Stale leftover challah?  What does this term mean?   Okay, next time you have challah, be sure to cut 4 thick slices off and leave them out to go stale so no one will eat them and you'll be able to make this recipe.














Regular milk tends to break down during long cooking, so avoid using it as a substitute for the evaporated milk.  Cream can be used, which will result in a very delicious yet heart-stopping (in more ways than one) dish.

Leave the eggs out for about 30 minutes to lose their chill.  This allows the slow-cooker a chance to more quickly reach safe cooking temperature.  If you forget like I did, start the cooker at high, then turn it down to low after a half-hour, cooking for another 4 hours.

I used golden raisins, because that's what I had.  They are almost invisible, blending into the background, making for a happy sweet surprise, but I prefer the look of a polka-dotted pudding, so after I finish yet another bowl o'pudding I'm heading out to buy regular raisins.


Challah Pudding - Easy
serves 4-5

cooking spray
4 1-inch thick slices stale challah
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
3 eggs, room temperature
2 cans evaporated milk (low-fat or fat-free okay)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of kosher salt
vanilla yogurt or maple syrup (optional)

 Lightly spray the interior of the slow-cooker insert with cooking spray.















Cut the challah into 1-inch cubes (you should have about 5 cups or so).   Place in prepared slow-cooker.  Gently stir in raisins.  Set aside.














In a medium-sized mixing bowl, lightly whisk eggs.  Whisk in remaining ingredients.














Pour over challah cubes and gently stir to moisten any dry cubes.














Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until set.













 Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.  Or maple syrup.

Comments