Baked Green Figs

fig 1


















For the first time (that I noticed anyway), fresh  green figs were available in the local farmer's market!   I quickly bought a package, despite having absolutely no idea what to do with them.

So I fired up the intertubes, quickly discovering that there are several different types of fresh figs, green and all the others.

After getting them home, I searched for a simple recipe and found the perfect one at David Lebovitz's site.  Well, almost perfect.  David used a different fig, but I  didn't give a ... darn. He also used Cointreau or Grand Marnier, but  I didn't have any of the grown-up stuff so I settled for plain ol' OJ.
Turns out I got lucky in the ripe department. 

fig 2














Ripe figs are soft and not brown (unless you are buying brown ones).  The insides are a deep color, which lucky for me most of these are.

Baked Green Figs
Lightly adapted from David Lebovitz
Yield: 4 servings

8 ozs. fresh green figs
1/2 tsp. cardamom
2 Tbl. orange juice
1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbl. honey
1 (6 oz.) or more containers plain or vanilla yogurt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Slice off stem ends of the figs; slice each in half lengthwise.

fig 3















Toss the figs in a 2-quart baking dish with the cardamom, juice, honey and lemon zest.

fig 4















Turn figs so that they are all cut side down in a single layer.

Cover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the figs are softened and cooked through.


fig 5














Remove  from oven, remove cover and let the figs cool completely. 


fig 6


















Serve with a dollop of yogurt under or over the figs. Store leftovers, covered, in fridge for up to 1 week.

Comments